As a result of interviews with experts, activists and non-governmental organizations, we have created a special version of the game "BEEN THERE TOGETHER - Game On, Climate!", which encourages people to actively participate in mitigation of the effects of the climate crisis and to act in the spirit of mutual solidarity.
Playing the game "BEEN THERE TOGETHER - Game On, Climate!" provides simple calls for action that are in line with protection of the environment. Acting on these challenges provides players with real practical skills and experience that they have the ability to influence their environment. This experience creates the conditions for a long - term change in their thinking, the formation of ecological habits and conscious behavior beyond the game and gaming experience, in everyday situations.
The pervasive game BEEN THERE TOGETHER is created as an online gamification tool increasing perception of the current situation, encourages discussion and activity. Content
creation and form of the game was created in collaboration with experts and organizations from various countries of the European Union and the USA. Using challenges, questionnaires, in-depth interviews, consultations and online workshops, we have obtained adequate data to develop a game that responds to the authentic needs of our target group.
The campaign strategy is set on experimentation and live experience to take advantage of trends in social media and attract the interest of young people. We have created a unique
filter that brings together people's know-how from non-formal, cultural, visual arts and environmental activities, and that can reach young people directly in their familiar social media environment and give them the opportunity to face (publicly) the challenges that are helping them bring climate change as a topic in their communities.
We have created a special version of the game BEEN THERE TOGETHER - Climate pack, which encourages people to act in areas that have a real impact. We have involved environmental initiatives, organizations, activists and experts who have been working on this topic for a long time in the creation of the new version of the game. In the preparation phase of the game, we conducted 20 in-depth interviews, 4 online workshops on the ZOOM platform and one "live" workshop, where we tested the prototype of the game together with the target group. We verified the information through an open questionnaire. Overall, we approached more than 130 organizations. We directly involved 21 key partner organizations in the creation of the game and its campaign.
We have created an opportunity for a unique international alliance between members organizations and initiatives that could feel a sense of belonging and co-create a tool for
use in their own practice.
Representatives worked with us on the project of organizations:
Pestrec, Nesehnutí, Czech Climate Coalition, Climate Game on, Radi Vidi Pats, IUVENTA - Slovak Youth Institute, Cyprus Energy Agency, BROZ, Green Foundation, SaUvedom, SVDM s.r.o. , University of Malta, SEEDS / EXOsphere, Re-set, Greenpeace - Slovakia, The SFX Creative, Transnatural Perspectives, Young Climate, Ana and Vlade Divac
Foundation, Visual Meta, KultúrGorilla.
Playing the game "BEEN THERE TOGETHER - Game On, Climate!" provides simple challenges and active steps in accordance with environmental protection. Challenges provide players with real hands-on experience and proof that they have the ability to affect their environment. The game supports them on the path from a change in the level of individual lifestyle to cooperation, which can lead to finding system solutions.
As part of the campaign, we created a "filter" - a digital tool within the Instagram application, which facilitates the spread of the game in the digital environment and creates a feeling
belonging to young players.
The new version of the game is now available to all organizations that are interested in playful and engaging experiences for the groups and communities they are dedicated to. They can use it in the form of digital mobile game (and on request in the form of a physical card game), and may form independent activity or to be part of their workshops or educational activities for members, supporters, volunteers, people interested in the environment.
The game is as a mobile application freely available for mobile devices (Android and IOS), and also on the website and continues to serve on raising people 's awareness of the crisis, helping them to cope with it and managing the steps needed to adequate care for the environment with greater ease and playfulness.
Due to complications and delays in the delivery of the service from the programmers, we had a slip of 3 months during which we could not develop the game application. Because of this delay, we postponed the implementation of the social media campaign to the beginning of 2022.
In 2022, we will continue to build on the results of the project. We expect that our partner organizations will be involved in the dissemination of the campaign in the next period,
hrough their own social networks to support the dissemination and sharing of the results of our joint project, a new climate version of the BTT game, to the general public. Based on the demand of organizations we give the game for distribution or in a print version.
We have created a new attractive digital tool based on international cooperation.
- Thanks to thoughtful gamification and input from people in the environmental field activism, we have managed to create challenges that are motivating and relevant to the current situation, and allow players to do the activities they have meaningful and positive impact on the environment.
- We have created a game that works for single players in their daily life situations.
- Collaborative work on the creation of the game and the campaign, which took place via online interviews and workshops provided an opportunity to connect and collaborate diverse NGOs and experts.
- Due to the delay from IT sector, the creation of the game application took us longer than we assumed. Therefore, a shift occurred in the preparation and implementation of the subsequent campaign, whose beginning we had to postpone and is still in progress.
- We were able to bring together the know-how of representatives of various NGOs and initiatives in creating a unique tool - "BEEN THERE TOGETHER - Game On, Climate! “, Games that can be useful in non-formal education, communication with the public and youth work and usable in different places and contexts.
- We designed the game and the campaign to meet the needs of organizations and environmental awareness-raising initiatives, education and youth work - enables them to reach out and involve them more effectively with current and future audiences: (especially people aged 15-35).
- We have diverted the attention of the people who play the game from consuming digital content to conscious perception of one's surroundings. By playing the game, more people are aware of the need for protection and regeneration of the environment, and better understand the impact of their activities on the environment.
- Game play indirectly encourages and teaches to be more active and empathetic to problems associated with the climate crisis and able to work together to tackle it.
- Playing the game encourages greater social courage, to change the attitude towards environment and more conscious action, and trains people in important new skills for interaction and collaboration in their community. The game gradually increases its level of difficulty, this way, people that are still passively monitoring the situation regarding the climate crisis, will be provided the opportunity to become active co-creators of a more sustainable life in their own communities and the local environment.
BROZ's Young Ambassadors were involved in the development of the game during a testing of the Beta version of the game in the Komarno city